If you live in an apartment complex, then you know that your monthly utility costs can add up. Did you know that installing solar panels could help reduce your monthly expenses?
In this blog post, we will discuss the benefits of solar panels for apartment buildings and how to get started with this cost-saving and environmentally friendly project. Keep reading to learn more!
Special Considerations for Installing Solar Panels on Apartment Roofs –
First and foremost, it’s essential to check with your state and local laws to see if there are any restrictions or regulations regarding installing solar panels on apartment buildings. Some states have specific rules about how you can install solar panels, so you’ll want to make sure you comply with all applicable laws.
Secondly, you’ll need approval from your building’s owner or management company before proceeding with the installation. Many apartment buildings also have flat roofs facing southwards or toward direct sunlight. This increases installation costs as you’ll have to make structural adjustments.
Additionally, you’ll need a crane to lift the solar panel to the top of the apartment complex. This means additional costs and significant inconvenience for the commuters and the local community.
An apartment complex has both renters and property owners; if the landlord wants to install solar panels, they need to discuss the options with the tenants and explain why rental costs are increasing.
Options for Solar Panel Installation on an Apartment Complex –
- Use a smaller number of solar panels to power the common areas of the building, such as the lobby, hallways, and recreation room. This will offset some of the building’s energy usage and lower utility bills.
- Purchase or lease solar panels for each unit. This option is more expensive, but it will allow each tenant to see a direct benefit from the solar panels in the form of lower monthly energy bills.
- Work with a solar company to install a system that covers the entire roof of the building. This option will generate the most electricity, but it will also be expensive.
Debunking Common Solar Myths for Apartment Complexes –
1. Solar panels are too expensive.
Solar panels have come down in price significantly in recent years, and there are now many options available that are very affordable. Incentives and rebates offered by the public sector can make solar even more affordable.
2. Solar panels require much maintenance.
Solar panels require very low maintenance. They don’t require any moving parts, so there are no parts that can break or require replacement. Solar panels also don’t produce emissions, so there’s no need to worry about air pollution.
3. Solar panels are unattractive.
Solar panels come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. There are even solar shingles that look like traditional roofing materials. You can install solar panels in a way that is both aesthetically pleasing and functional.
Solar panels for apartment buildings can be a great way to save money and help the environment. TruShield Solar, serving Harrisburg, NC, is here to help if you’re looking for a way to go solar. We work with you to get an estimate and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision about going solar.
Get a free estimate from our team today!